Sunday, September 3, 2006

Licensed to Kill - The US Contractor's Creed


Who's Sorry Now?

The mercenary army is nothing new. It happened in Vietnam, in Haiti, in Kosovo. It happened in the Russian/Afghan war.

What is new is the private military contractor killer present now in Iraq and (maybe) soon to be Iran.

A new must read is the book Licensed to Kill - Hired Guns in the War on Terror
by Robert Young Pelton. After reading this book, we're interested to see what happens if there is a US Military draft....what effect, if any, would this new hired gun trend have on that?

Here's the Contractor's Creed that apparently made the rounds in the military and defense email world and is quoted in his book:

The Private Military Contractor's Creed

I am a U.S. contractor. I look out for myself, the operators to my left and
right, and no one else. I will always take advantage of the fact that I
can finally tell military officers to pound sand, and will do so at every
opportunity.

I am my country's scapegoat, the "plausible deniability"
warrior, and I love it.

Less than $700 dollars a day is unacceptable.

I am trained to eat things that would make a billy goat puke, but will
refuse anything less than 60 dollars per diem because I am greedy.

I care not for ribbon's and awards for valor. I do this job for the
opportunity to kill the enemies of my country, and to finally get that
boat I've always wanted.

I will be in better shape than 99% of the active duty personnel, although
this is not hard.

I will equip myself with the latest high speed gear, and will trick out
my M4 until it weighs more than 24 lbs, not because it works better, but
because it looks cool in the photographs.

I will carry more weapons, ammunition, and implements of death on my
person, than an infantry fire team, and when engaged I will lay waste to
everything around me.

In any combat zone, I will always locate the swimming pool, beer, and
women, because I can.

I will deploy on my terms, and if it ever gets too stupid,

I will simply find another company that pays me more.

I swear!