Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Department of Defense Apologizes


Who's apologizing now?

CULLY STIMSON, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Detainee Affairs, Defense Department. Whoa, what a title. "Detainee Affairs" - wouldn't want that blood on our hands....baaaaad karma. Here's the apology from the WaPo:

During a radio interview last week, I brought up the topic of pro bono work and habeas corpus representation of detainees in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Regrettably, my comments left the impression that I question the integrity of those engaged in the zealous defense of detainees in Guantanamo. I do not.

I believe firmly that a foundational principle of our legal system is that the system works best when both sides are represented by competent legal counsel. I support pro bono work, as I said in the interview. I was a criminal defense attorney in two of my three tours in the Navy Judge Advocate General's Corps. I zealously represented unpopular clients -- people charged with crimes that did not make them, or their attorneys, popular in the military. I believe that our justice system requires vigorous representation. I apologize for what I said and to those lawyers and law firms who are representing clients at Guantanamo. I hope that my record of public service makes clear that those comments do not reflect my core beliefs.