Saturday, August 18, 2007

Author fakes being on Oprah


Who's sorry now?

Bill Schneider, director of the Provincetown (RI) Tourism Office, have you no shame? Schneider, also an "author" FAKED being on the Oprah show, FAKED being on her book list, and posted a FAKE transcript of the FAKE SHOW.

In March of this year, Schneider released his third book through self-publishers iUniverse. The book, a novelette called Crossed Paths, is described as a gay love story that takes place during "America's Identity Crisis" of 1976. Schneider's book has not necessarily been panned or praised by literary critics. They've barely touched it -- which is odd, considering the book's supposed fame.

On his website, the author writes, "I am very honored that my new novelette, Crossed Paths, has been selected as an edition [sic] to Oprah's Book Club. This prestigious recognition paved the way to my appearance on 'Oprah' in May 2007. Click here to view a copy of the transcript from the show."

In the five-page transcript, Oprah and Schneider pal it up:

Oprah: Bill, I must tell you that I immediately fell in love with this book when I first read it.

Schneider: Thank you. Thanks very much.

Oprah: Crossed Paths is truly a gem of story. Tell me how you came to write this very poignant book ...

Oprah: I was very impressed with how well you developed the characters in Crossed Paths.

Schneider: Thanks.

Oprah: How did you do that?

Schneider: Well, when you strip away all of the layers of stuff that make us appear to be who we want others to believe we are, BLAH BLAH BLAH. Read the rest here.