Sunday, February 19, 2006

What's David Gregory Apologizing For?


Who's Sorry on MTP?

David Gregory?!? Just when he's getting his confident-reporter-I'll-push-you-til-I-get-answers groove back? David wimped out. You may already know that today David Gregory read (well, recited) a prepared statement on Tim Russert's MTP and apologized - apologized!

From HuffPo here: "I think I made a mistake. I think it was inappropriate for me to lose my cool with the press secretary representing the president. I don't think it was professional of me. I was frustrated, I said what I said, but I think that you should never speak that way, as my wife reminded me, number one. And number two, I think it created a diversion from some of the serious questions in the story, so I regret that. I was wrong, and I apologize"

And there's the video on Mary Matlin's bizarre -o performance today - what is the deal with her - from CrooksandLiars here (love this site). "Jihad, presumption of accident, parallel universes"...folks, it's getting strange out there. And it's going to get stranger.

Clearly, what has happened - the drinking, shooting, delaying, covering-up, "declaring the story over and the case closed" are indications of an out-of-control team - not an out-of-control press - scrambling to maintain some sense of being in charge. Well, in the real world, where we all live, the inconsistencies and insanities are all too glaring. And, apparently, this story's got legs.