Saturday, April 28, 2007

MIT Admissions Dean Apologizes and Resigns

Who's sorry and apologizing now?

Marilee! What were you thinking? Lying about your resume and giving guidance to thousands of students at MIT? Oh dear. PS MIT must be pretty sorry, too. And to all those with phony resumes out there, take heed. This is the Internet age - anything can and will be found out about your background if someone wants to. BTW, we're wondering how she got busted? Hmmmm. And will she get a pension?

"I am deeply sorry for this and for disappointing so many in the MIT community and beyond who supported me, believed in me, and who have given me extraordinary opportunities,'' Jones said in the statement. "I especially apologize to the Institute's leadership and to my extraordinary staff, whom I have every confidence will continue to deliver on the Institute's mission."

Marilee Jones, MIT's dean of admissions who has spoken out nationally against the craze over beefing up teens' resumes, has resigned after 28 years at the school for misrepresenting her academic degrees, university officials said today.

Jones listed on her resume that she had degrees from Albany Medical College, Union College, and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, but she had no degrees from any of those schools, said MIT chancellor Phillip Clay.